JUST Bikes Small Grants Initiative
The JUST Bikes Coalition invites individuals and organizations that
would like to contribute to local, neighborhood-based efforts to support equity in active transportation, with a special focus on safe and comfortable access to bicycling.
JUST Bikes Coalition envisions a community where all people feel safe and empowered using a bicycle regardless of their racial or socioeconomic status. Our mission is to co-conspire and collaborate with communities of color by addressing equity issues through the use of bikes.
(Photo by Joe Maldonado)
The Small Grants initiative is intended to have a positive impact on
communities of color in Dane County that are eager to join the cycling
community and enjoy its multiple opportunities, such as fitness,
transportation and recreation, among others. Specifically:
- To act as a technical support hub and put all the coalition’s
resources available for community efforts
- To offer free administrative support to community members or organizations that would like to participate but don’t meet all requirements to apply for grants by themselves
A single grant cycle has been funded for the spring of 2021, with a
total of $5,750 available.
- Applications due Monday, May 17th or until the available funds for
this cycle are exhausted. Selection process on Tuesday, May 18th
- Results will be available the week of May 24th.
- Implementation runs from May to November of the same year.
- A report is due December 31st of the same year.
- If funding becomes available, there will be another cycle of grants.
(Photo by Mark Renner)
In order to be eligible for these funds, projects must meet the
Contact Point To apply
- Projects must be led by and benefit People of Color and/or people
from Tribes/Native Nations.
- The project goal must align with "supporting biking at a
- Submit a single paragraph describing your project: dream big, but
start small. Tell us how this project will impact your community in the
- Include a rough budget to explain your use of the requested funds.
- Funds can be used for organizing events, purchasing goods, and paying
- Prioritize positive impact on communities of color: empower and
include the community members. Their input and work must be compensated as part of the plan.
- Aim for sustainability: will you be able to sustain these efforts in the following years? Tell us about it.
- Project proposals must comply with current public health requirements.
- Successful applicants will be asked for a report at the end of the year. The purpose is to understand the impact the project made and what things could go better next time. There will be no micromanagement during the year.
- Each applicant can only be granted funds once per funding cycle.
- JUST Bikes will consider one small grant of up to $2,500. Additional
grants this spring cycle may request up to $1,000.
, and for any questions that may arise during the process,
please contact Pepe Barros, (414) 242-7064 email@example.com
For additional information, please see the program descriptions
The one-page application form
is available here in
Or apply online
using these forms:
It is also available in paper form
from Pepe for those
without Internet access.